Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Living Old-School in a Modern World

I want to share the flavour of my life. I wanted the design of the blog to reflect the values I hold dearly.

I have settled on this template since I'm an old fashioned girl who loves good books and family traditions.

What does it look like to be an old fashined soul in modern times? It's a tricky conundrum. You may find yourself battling with the convenience of modern communication while longing for the personal connection from days gone by even though it possessed the dalayed connection of old-school mail.

Have you ever recieved a hand-written letter in the mail with a personal photo from a friend? Did it make your heart brim with satisfaction knowing that great effort was put into the contents of the envelope that you opened with excitement? How did it compare with the email you recieved yesterday? I'm sure both warmed your heart, but one did so with a deeper touch.

I know that email is great for immediate and essential communication, but don't forsake the art of writing personal letters, placing a beautiful stamp on your envelope and dropping that letter into the post office box. If you are one of the people who longs to get back to old roots, don't hesitate to send me your address so I can mail you a good old fashioned letter.

I will be experimenting with the art of writing old fashioned letters. The content will require creativity since phones and emails are part of our every day life. I hope my letters will bring joy to the recipients.

These are photos of our last year's summer solstice party. All of the little ones dressed up as fairies and went on a flower hunt. It was a reminder to me that our children come forth much like flowers do in nature. They each sprout in the soil that they will grow best. They each need specific conditions to flourish. Some are orchids, some are daisies. If we each work to know our family just as a gardener studies each plant and its needs for optimum growth, we will see our family flourish with maximum potential. I think the same can be said when it comes to friendship as well. Hold those you love gently with the wisdom of a gardener. Hold those you find to be challenging in the same careful way. Consider yourself honored to be a parent and a friend. There is no greater honour.

My prayer for the day is that your family and friendships will flourish like a well nurtured garden be they wild flowers or delicate orchids.

3 comments:

  1. It is amazing to me how close to home some of your posts have come for me. I remember the days of old-school hand written letters with much fondness. I met one of my dearest friends when we were twelve years old and we almost always lived far away from each other so our letters were what kept us close. We each saved our letters and years later we have read through them together. Simply amazing moments!! I would love to have a hand written letter from you and I will do my very best to write one back to you. To make it exciting I will send my address via post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of mail coming my way lifted my heart today unexpectedly. I can't wait to send you a real letter in response!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I like this post .... really good words ...

    ~Rem~

    ReplyDelete